CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
BEML LIMITED, a Miniratna Category-I Public Sector Company under the Ministry of Defence has been serving the core sectors of the economy since over 50 years through its three Business verticals viz., Defence & Aerospace, Mining & Construction and Rail & Metro.
Apart from its commercial activities, BEML has been immensely contributing for the development of society through its various CSR initiatives such as Promoting Education, Skill Development, Health Care, Community Development, Rehabilitation of Specially Abled persons, Eradication of Hunger & Malnutrition, Afforestation, Adoption of Villages, Sanitation, Drinking Water facilities and also includes commitment to Swachh Bharat Mission.
The beneficiaries of CSR initiatives of the Company are predominantly the residents of under-developed villages around the local areas of the Company’s Manufacturing Complexes located at Bengaluru, Kolar Gold Fields, Mysuru in Karnataka & Palakkad in Kerala.
BEML CSR Policy
The CSR Policy of the Company encompasses the Company’s philosophy for delineating its responsibility as a Corporate citizen and lays down the guidelines and mechanism for carrying out socially useful activities / projects and programs for welfare & sustainability and development of community at large, preferably at local area and in its areas of operation. The CSR Policy of the Company shall apply to all CSR projects, activities and initiatives taken-up at all Manufacturing units/Regional / District offices/ Work Centers and locations of BEML, or any other location as may be decided by the Management of BEML for the benefit of different segments of the society.
BEML Board has accorded approval to incorporate certain amendments / changes in the Schedule VII of the Companies Act, 2013 w.r.t. Corporate Social Responsibility inline with the directives of Ministry of Corporate Affairs and the same has been incorporated by the Company in its CSR Policy.
“To commit for enhanced value-creation for the Society, our Valued Shareholders, other Stakeholders and the Communities by taking–up activities and initiatives for Sustainable growth for the Society, with Environmental concern"
Areas of CSR Activities
CSR Activities of the Company are governed by the provisions of the Companies Act, 2013, and core CSR initiatives are based on the initiatives enumerated under Schedule VII of the said Act, which are as follows
- Eradicating hunger, poverty and malnutrition, promoting health care including preventive health care and sanitation including contribution to the Swachh Bharat Kosh set-up by the Central Government for the promotion of sanitation and making available safe drinking water.
- Promoting education, including special education and employment enhancing vocation skills especially among children, women, elderly & the differently abled and livelihood enhancement projects
- Promoting gender equality, empowering women, setting up homes and hostels for women and orphans; setting up old age homes, day care centers and such other facilities for senior citizens and measures for reducing inequalities faced by socially and economically backward groups
- Ensuring environmental sustainability, ecological balance, protection of flora and fauna, animal welfare, agro-forestry, conservation of natural resources and maintaining quality ofsoil, air & water including contribution to the Clean Ganga Fund set-up by the Central Government for rejuvenation of river Ganga
- Protection of national heritage, art & culture including restoration of buildings, sites of historical importance and works of art; setting-up public libraries, promotion and development of traditional arts and handicrafts
- Measures for the benefit of the armed forces veterans, war widows and their dependents
- Training to promote rural sports, nationally recognized sports, Paralympics sports and Olympic sports
- Contribution to the Prime Minister’s National Relief fund or any other fund set up by the Central Government for socio-economic development and relief and welfare of the Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribes, other backward classes, minorities and women
- Contribution to incubators funded by Central Government or State Government or any agency or Public Sector Undertaking of Central Government or State Government, and contributions to public funded Universities, Indian Institute of Technology (IITs), National Laboratories and Autonomous Bodies (established under the auspices of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Council of Scientific and Industrial Research(CSIR), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Department of Science and Technology(DST), Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology) engaged in conducting research in science, technology, engineering and medicine aimed at promoting Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Rural Development Projects
- Any Other Projects
- Slum Area Development
Explanation : For the purposes of this item, the term ‘slum area’ shall mean any area declared as such by the Central Government or any State Government or any other competent authority under any law for the time being in force.
- Disaster management, including relief, rehabilitation and reconstruction activities.
- Slum Area Development
BEML has extended out-patient medical facilities by deputing Doctor and Para-medical staff to Ex- Employees & Families of closed Bharat Gold Mines Limited (BGML) at Kolar District in Karnataka Medicines are dispensed free of cost. Mobile Medical Services are also provided on regular basis to the adopted villages.
BEML has associated with M/s Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) for providing 100 No. of Kapas Cotton plucking machines as preventive health measures in manual picking and to increase the financial gains of Cotton farmers in the aspirational districts of Yadgir and Raichur districts of Karnataka.
Apart from various regular services for the community development, BEML has also accorded special focus on Disaster Management by contributing Two Crore rupees towards Chief Minister’s Relief Fund to mitigate the sufferings of flood victims in North Karnataka. In addition to the above, the company has constructed 346 dwelling units in association with Govt, of Karnataka. To provide the basic need of Piped Drinking Water, Borewells along with overhead tanks were constructed at BEML Township of Kolar District, Karnataka.
Rehabilitation of specially abled persons is an important agenda of BEML’s CSR Programmes. In this direction, BEML has provided Aids & Appliances viz., Tricycles, Wheel Chairs, Braille Cane, MR Kits etc. to the needy in association with M/s ALIMCO at Davangere and Kolar Districts in Karnataka.
In its pursuance towards eradication of hunger and malnutrition, BEML, has provided Mid-Day Meal for Students for a whole year in association with Akshaya Patra Foundation. Further, the Company has also provided Food Transportation Vehicle to the Foundation towards this cause.
In its endeavor to promote education, BEML is running Junior College, Nursery and Primary Schools and Kendriya Vidyalaya at KGF and Bangalore with amenities like school building, furniture and other infrastructure, CCTVs etc., with affordable cost wherein more than 50% of the students are among non-employee wards from neighbouring villages.
Skill Development of youth in naxal affected tribal and under developed areas of Odisha has been imparted and provided one BL-9H Loader manufactured by the Company together with tool kits, aggregates etc.
More than 400 Unskilled contract workers engaged through service providers in the Company performing unskilled jobs and having VIII/SSLC qualifications were provided three months on-the-job training in the trade of Welders/Fitter/Electrician on full time basis and on attaining proficiency were engaged in semi-skilled jobs.
BEML has rendered its support for establishing Akshaya Talent Hostel in association with Akshaya Patra Foundation. The Talent Hostel will provide vital facilities, home away from home to enable aspirations of meritorious students coming from families requiring economic support.
Around 20 lakhs saplings are planted across the Company. Saplings were also distributed to the employees and local population for creating awareness and green environment. The Company has set-up 5 MW wind power generation unit in Gadag District, Karnataka State. 18 MW Wind Mill at Dammur and Mittalkode Karnataka has also been commissioned. With the implementation of this project, 75% of BEML’s requirement of energy is met and it will enable the Company to become a green Company.
Bethamangala and Ramsagar lakes in Kolar District, Karnataka spread across 997 acres of land has been de-silted and rank vegetation were removed to upgrade rainwater storage of the lake.
Various energy conservation projects with Solar/ LED lighting have been undertaken across the Company. Bio-gas plant at KGF Complex and various pollution control measures were undertaken. Bangalore, Mysore, KGF & Palakkad Complexes of the Company are IS014001 compliant and stands as testimony of the Company’s efforts in this aspect. Besides, effluent treatment plants / oxidation ponds have also been constructed inside the factory premises. Storage yard facility for chemical / hazardous waste constructed. Computer waste segregation yard for E-waste is provided.
Segregation of bio-degradable and non-biodegradable waste are also carried out regularly.