BEML has been evincing keen interest in the afforestation programme in and around BEML factory, township and surrounding areas. Due to concerted efforts of BEML Management, over two hundred thousand trees have come-up in and around KGF and the area is quite green. Norms laid down by the water and air pollution control board have been fully complied with. All the effluents and discharges are treated in STP’s and recycling arrangements have been carried out on regular basis.
“To commit for enhanced value-creation for the Society, our Valued Shareholders, other Stakeholders and the Communities by taking–up activities and initiatives for Sustainable growth for the Society, with Environmental concern"
Energy Conservation / Augmentation :
Reduction in consumption of Electrical Power
- Use of solar Perimeter lights
- Replacement of Low Wattage Induction lamps in place of High Wattage HPMV Roof Lights in various Shops
- Replacement of Incandescent/CFL/Tube Lights with Low Wattage LED Bulbs and Tubes.
- Reconditioning of Electrical Furnaces to avoid Thermal Loss.
- Arresting Air Leakages.
The Division achieved a reduction in consumption of Electrical Power by 5.04 Lakh KW Hours (KWH) in 2016-17.
BEML has taken up sourcing of renewable energy and has earnestly started incorporating this source into the energy mix.
- 30 KW roof top solar power plant has been commissioned at Transit House.
- 60 KW Solar Power Plant for Perimeter Lighting.
- 5 MW Wind Mill was commissioned in Gadag district in 2007
- 9 MW capacity wind mill was commissioned in Oct 2015 and another 9MW Wind Energy project is under commissioning in Bagalkote and Koppal Districts.
Water Conservation :
Water is increasingly becoming a valuable resource because of the failed Monsoons and depletion of water table. In order to conserve this, BEML has Built Check Dams near the Catchment Areas and Implemented Rain Water Harvesting at select Places. There is substantial improvement in the Water table and yield from the Bore well.
Waste Water Treatment :
SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANT : A Sewage Treatment Plant of 500KLD capacity was commissioned in 2016 for treating the Sewage Generated in the Plant. It basically involves treatment of the sewage by biodegradation with Activated Sludge Process (Extended Aeration Type) followed by chlorination and filtration and treated water is used for plantation and gardening.
Effluent Treatment Plants :
Two numbers of ETPs of capacity 10KLD was commissioned in 2008 in EM Division, one at Vehicle washing unit and the other at Painting booth. These two units are used to treat the oil mixed, grease & paint mixed water.
Solid Waste Management :
Biogas Plant with a capacity of 50 kg/day is installed at the canteen in the division. The canteen waste generated is the input to the plant and the biogas generated is being used for cooking.
The Wastes in the Township is segregated in the collection stage by providing separate Bins for collection of Dry and Wet wastes. The Wet waste is converted into manures for our Nursery.
Fulfilment Of Social Obligation
a) Educational Facilities:
High School grade KendriyaVidyalaya, Primary School, Nursery School and a Junior College are provided to educate employees children. Typewriting and shorthand institute, computer centers are run for the benefit of employees and employees’ children through BEML Labour Welfare Fund.
b) Welfare Measures:
Apart from the above, Housing (Township) with 1868 Quarters for Officers and Employees, Sports, Welfare of physically handicapped, Welfare of SC/ST, well equipped Medical Centre with over 40 bed capacity hospital with all modern facilities and a team of experienced Doctors and Para medical staff, Transportation facilities, Workers education scheme, Labour welfare fund schemes, Merit scholarship for employees children, etc., have been provided for the benefit of employees under Welfare Measures. Also a full fledged Sports Complex with a Stadium having a seating capacity of around 15000 to 20000 personnel and a well maintained Swimming Pool, Golf course, Lawn Tennis court, Shuttle Badminton hall, Billards, Carrom, Squash and a health club with modern equipments are the other facilities available for up keep of health and sports activities. Tournaments are held at regular intervals in almost all the sports activities separately for gents, ladies and children.
For recreation and cultural programmes two Auditoria, Kalakshetra& Open Air theatre are available. Also a full fledged EM-Club for Executives in a scenic surroundings with hills on one side and a green lawn & well maintained garden on the other side with facilities like Reading Room, Library, Bar, a Guest House with fully furnished rooms.
c) Corporate Social Responsibility
BEML in continuing with its endeavor towards being a Socially Responsible organization has revised BEML CSR Policy in line with the Companies Act, 2013. BEML adopted a village Ajjapalli situated, 1.5 Km from EM Division. BEML has provided new bore wells, solar lighting for street lights, RCC Dust Bins, Community Toilets Blocks and Library Cum Reading Room. BEML has conducted Mobile Health Camp, Awareness Programme on Health & Personal Hygiene and has promoted Rural Sports &Culture .
De-silting of water bodies :
Bethamangala Lake situated at a distance of 15 Km from the factory has been de-silted and the water body of about 999 acres has been rejuvenated. Subsequently, Ramsagar Lake with an area of 1200 acres has been desilted.
CSR health initiatives like immunization programmes, peripheral medical camps and community health screening have been conducted for the benefit of the surrounding rural population who had no access to health care for general health problems, diabetes, hypertension, dental problems, cancer cervix and cancer breast etc., and positive cases were further taken up at BEML Medical Centre.
BEML Limited has adopted National Skill Development Mission. The Mission has been developed to create convergence across sectors in terms of skill training activities. Further, to achieve the vision of ‘Skilled India’, the flowing activities are carried out: –
- Modular Employable Skills (MES)
- Apprenticeship training scheme
- Semi-skill training scheme
- Specialization module training to COE students of govt. ITI. KGF
- Centre of Excellence (welding trade & hydraulics trade)
- Courses offering to the society for skill upgradation through BEML labour welfare fund
Centre of Excellence
- To impart skills to employees and others in areas related to manufacturing and maintenance of earth moving machinery, well equipped “Centre of Excellence” has been established for imparting training in welding technology & Hydraulics system.
- The training sessions are handled by experienced professionals working in the factory and industry experts.
- Training Modules are tailor made and aligned to suit the Organization’s Product portfolio to create an effective eco-system for the participants to excel in their field of specialization.