BEML Limited (formerly Bharat Earth Movers Limited) established in May 1964 operates under three major Business verticals – viz. Defence & Aerospace, Mining & Construction, and Rail & Metro.
The company has dedicated R&D infrastructure and an exclusive team in line with consistent policy of the company to meet the technological demands through in-house R&D, academia collaboration and strategic technical tie-ups with global players.
Achievements & Activities
- R&D (Mining & Construction) in partnership with IIT-Madras executed successful projects such as Vehicle Dynamics on Load Haul Dumper – BL15LHD-1 involving stability analysis in various operations, design finalization and proto equipment development, development of BS-III Emission Compliant Engine Technology and Torsional Vibration Analysis on 100 Ton Dump Trucks.
- R&D (Rail & Metro) are working with IIT Kharagpur on Bogie Design – Vehicle Dynamics and Rail wheel traction control towards improved safety, comfort and reduction in running cost for metro coaches under the Uchchatar Avishkar Yojana (MHRD initiative) with a total outlay of 499. 21 lakhs.
- IIT-Madras was involved in Design Consultancy for the Development of Arjun Armoured Repair and Recovery Vehicle which involved Mechanical systems such as Hull structure static and dynamic analysis and Vehicle stability analysis, design of hydraulic circuit for the entire vehicle, Identification and Sizing of hydraulic aggregates including pipes, hydraulic pumps & tanks and Preparation of the detailed electrical harnessing circuit for the entire vehicle and vetting of electrical routing drawings and installation procedures. The design and prototype buildup has been successfully completed.
- IIT-Madras was also involved in design Consultancy in the Development of Medium Bullet Proof Vehicle which included design to arrive at hull profiling of the belly, sides (LH & RH), Frontal and Rear areas of the vehicle to withstand mine blasts and bullets for the safety of vehicle occupants, selection of suitable armor material/composites available commercially and involvement in the prototype vehicle build-up, Vehicle body testing and evaluation.
- Design Consultancy in the Development of Wheeled Infantry Combat Vehicle was also done by IIT-Madras which included hull profiling of the belly, sides (LH & RH), Frontal and Rear areas of the vehicle to withstand mine blasts and bullets for the safety of vehicle occupants, selection of suitable armor material/composites available commercially, simulation of ballistic analysis and review the design and prototype vehicle build-up and vehicle testing and evaluation.