BEML, Bangalore Complex which is known as Rail Coach Division, was established in 1948 under HAL and BEML took over the same during 1964. This Rail coach Division was the first company in India to manufacture all Steel Integral Passenger Rail Coaches, in collaboration with M/s. MAN, Germany, to meet the requirements of Indian Railways. Also, it is the first rail coach manufacturing unit to get ISO 9001 accreditation.
BEML is accreditated with the following certifications:
- ISO 9001-2008
- ISO 14001-2004
- BS OHSAS 18001: 2007
The built up area of the complex is 28 acres out of the total 80 acres and the manpower is around 3,250 Employees and Officers. BEML, Bangalore Complex is equipped with infrastructural facilities and skilled man power, backed up by well equipped R & D facilities for manufacture of Railway products.
BEML has its Corporate Head quarters and Marketing Division in Bangalore with 10 Regional and 15 District offices, Spare parts Depot, Service Centres located in different parts of the country with in easy reach of customers. BEML has established wide area net work system for it’s after sales service support to achieve maximum customer satisfaction.
Presently BEML has a capacity to manufacture about 650 to 800 GS/GSCN coaches per annum. We are also constructing additional Hangars, extending Test Tracks in addition to augmenting the infrastructure facilities to increase the capacity to meet the growing demand of Indian Railways.
The Bengaluru complex has large sophisticated machines such as CNC Turning Center, CNC Boring machines, Vertical Turret lathes and Honing machines in addition to General-purpose machines. The dedicated machines are:
- Boring machines for Axle box
- AF / Axle Box spring seat machining
- Wotan internal grinding machine for Axle box
- Vertical turret lathe for Axle box machining
- Honing machine
- Flash butt welding machine for Brake Tension rod
- Hyd. press 100 T.for Bush pressing
A well-established Sheet metal shop has a band of special machines and dedicated machines:
- Laser cutting machine
- NC shearing machine
- Punch press - 40T. - 1000 T
- Press Brake - 40T. - 500T
- Stretch forming Machine
- CNC Press Brake – 300 T (2 Nos)
- Optical tracer flame cutting machines
- CNC Flame cutting machine
- Shot blasting machine for ( Rolled section & Plates)
- Shearing M/C to 30 mm capacity with inbuilt Beveling for weld joints.
- Spot welding machine
- Shot blasting machine (Rotary & conveyor type)
- Foil Roll welding machine for welding of corrugated sheets used for Floor.
- Corrugated rolling machine
- Plasma Cutting machine
- Submerged Arc welding sets
- Check & straightening machine for Bogie components
- Robot Spot Welding Machine
- Spot Welding Machine
- Roller bending machine for rood skins
- Foil Roll-Welding M/C for Roof, Side wall & End wall of Rail coaches.
- Roof leak test facility
- Conveyorised painting booth
- Shot Blasting facilities for Rolled Sections and plates.
- BEML has a large pretreatment and painting shop, to degrease, phosphating and undercoat of Red oxide primer by using endless conveyor system for thin sheet components before the components are taken up for fabrication/Assemblies.
- Lifting jacks of 16 T. capacity
- Air brake testing equipments ( 4 nos)
- Traversors of 75 Ton capacity ( 2 nos)
- Water leak test facility
- 248 M Test track ( 2 Nos) for testing
- Bogie testing machine ( 3 Nos) up to 60 Ton capacity
- Well-established meteorological laboratory for Quality products
- Well-laid Railway lines inside the production shops for smooth stage production.
- Railway sidings for delivery of coaches and receipt of raw materials
The manufacturing facilities include a band of electrical resistance Foil Roll butt machines to take care of Quality butt welding of Rail coach items.
BEML is also having facilities of Electrical resistance spot welding machine as a special processing facility required for production of main door and Aluminum window louvers required for Rail coaches, Flash butt welding equipment is available for welding of brake tension rod, Pulse tig-welding machine to do aluminum welding and Auto and semi auto submerged Arc welding for heavy steel structures.
- CO2 welding sets of capacity of 400 AMPS
- BEML has thermal Stress reliving furnaces to stress reliving important welded structures.
- Facilities are available to conduct Radiographic and Ultra sonic tests on welded structures.
Exclusive Jigs and Fixtures for Underframe, Sidewall, Endwall, Roof and other sub-assemblies will be made available.
Rolling Stock Profile Of BEML
BEML has contributed many Rail products to the Indian Railways & Metro Corporations. Some of them are as under:
- Passenger Coaches
- DC Electrical Multiple Units (DC EMUs)
- AC Electrical Multiple units (AC EMUs)
- SS Electrical Multiple units (SS EMUs)
- 8 Wheeler OHE Inspection Car
- 4 Wheeler OHE Inspection Car
- Track laying equipment
- Rail bus
- Spoil Disposal Unit
- Treasury Van
- Mil Rail coaches
- BWTB Wagons (fully welded design)
- BFAT Wagon
- Utility Track vehicle
- BG Metro cars for DMRC Phase-1
- SG Metro cars for DMRC Phase-2
- SG Metro cars for BMRCL Phase-1
- SG Metro cars for Jaipur Metro